Lenten Thought #2
As we continue through Lent staff and students are practicing Christian Meditation. If you want to try this at home here are the basics.
How to Meditate
- Sit still and uprights with your back straight.
- Place both your feet flat on the floor or legs crossed if sitting on floor.
- Place your hands on your lap facing either upwards or downwards.
- Close your eyes lightly
- Be aware of you normal breathing pattern as you relax.
- Silently, interiorly, begin to say your sacred prayer word of mantra- Eg:“ma-ra-na-tha” in four equal syllables; “Come Lord”; “Be still”
- Listen to the sound of your sacred word as you say it, slowly and gently and continuously.
- If thoughts and images come, keep returning to simply saying the word.
We start with short periods of time, especially with your children, and work our way up to 5-10 minutes. We sit in silence allowing the Spirit who dwells within to speak in our hearts.
Adapted from: An Introduction to Christian Meditation for Students 2016
For more information on Christian Meditation, visit the World Community for Christian Mediation at:
Leave a Reply